What is a network intrusion detection system
Workshop: Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention with Snort
One of the best-known IDS applications is the open source tool Snort, which was released under the GNU GPL license. (Since the boundaries between an IDS and an IPS are fluid, we will only speak of IDS in the following.) This multi-part workshop is intended to help you to better understand Snort and to configure it optimally. Before you can install an IDS on your network, however, you need to understand the basics and analyze your needs. This is what the first part of our series of articles on Snort deals with. In further steps, we then deal with the topics of installation, initial configuration and optimization of the rules and finally with the analysis of the messages.
Tasks of an IDS
Intrusion detection systems are now standard in many networks. As a rule, you can already detect attacks when an attempt is made to gain unauthorized access to a network. But an IDS can do a lot more: Among other things, it can monitor correct login and logout as well as access to files and directories within a network. With an IDS, a distinction is therefore often made between host-based (HIDS) and network-based (NIDS) systems.
The main task of intrusion detection systems is to analyze and monitor networks. If they detect anomalies in the data traffic, they issue a warning. We will go into the relevant rules a little later. A distinction is made between system events and user events. It logs and analyzes what happens in a system or what errors users produce on a host or in a network.
In principle, an IDS should be integrated into an existing network as an additional security measure. It is often used because there is no trust in the existing security measures; For example, a firewall can be undermined by tunneling through port 80, which is always open. Intrusion detection systems are also used when very sensitive data is processed; access to it must then be very restrictive and closely monitored. Protection against data leakage is often in the foreground here, as espionage is the order of the day these days.
- In which Indian city are most of the films made?
- Monogamy seems like a good idea
- How can I make shrimp scampi
- How can I better explore Ooty
- How do I review my investment strategy
- What is important love or knowledge
- How liberal is the Swiss government
- Airliners have parachutes
- What is a notarized paper
- What is the X20 algorithm
- How do I contact Lycos customer service
- What are the best dogs for depression
- How does guinea pig taste
- This is considered a good poem
- When do we use his
- What are the risks of not masturbating
- What topics does Precalculus Math deal with
- How would you describe Jorginho's style of play
- How does the use of infinitives work with time
- What is a scanner object in Java
- Why don't people like being single?
- What is the name of a group of koalas
- Who invented chess in India
- Walking reduces weight