Is an iPad 2 out of date?
Update your iPhone or iPad software if you have problems with location, date and time
As of November 3, 2019, some iPhone and iPad models from 2012 and older will need an iOS update in order to continue to be able to be precisely located using GPS. This is due to the GPS time rollover issue that has been affecting third-party GPS-enabled products since April 6, 2019. Affected Apple devices were not affected until shortly before 0:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019.
Check the iOS version of the device
After you've updated your iPhone or iPad, you can check if the update was successful:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on "General" and then on "About".
- Check the number next to "Software Version".
The updated version should be "10.3.4" or "9.3.6" depending on the device. If you're not sure which device you have, you can determine your iPhone or iPad model.
|Updated iOS version||device|
|iOS 10.3.4||iPhone 5|
iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
|iOS 9.3.6||iPhone 4s|
iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA models only)
iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
The problem does not affect iPod touch devices or iPad models that only use Wi-Fi. Newer iOS devices than the models listed above are also not affected.
Important information for owners of the iPhone 5
The iPhone 5 requires an update to maintain accurate GPS location and use features that are based on the correct date and time, including the App Store, iCloud, email, and web browsing.
If you didn't update your iPhone 5 before November 3, 2019, you'll need to back up and restore it using a Mac or PC before updating because over-the-air updates and iCloud backups will no longer work.
If you've updated your device and you're still having problems, see the following articles:
- What does sound surface mean
- What do hyenas look like
- Which company makes high quality gamepads
- How is the gene a hereditary unit
- What is the history of ticketing systems
- What is the weakness of Eminem
- What is sustainable engineering
- What increases dopamine levels
- How many people attended the inauguration of Trump?
- What do Brexiters think of Guy Verhofstadt
- What should everyone know about Zurich
- Why did St. Patrick's Day go global
- What are great music documentaries on YouTube
- How does the lighting affect the mood?
- Where does James Altucher's accent come from
- Streaming TV services will kill terrestrial television
- Why has Hindi lost its popularity
- How can I see Naruto finished faster
- Where do I start to study cognitive technologies
- Why do crazy people always write history?
- What's the best architecture with AWS
- What are flat T abnormalities on the EKG
- Where can I buy Swedish meatballs
- How do you recognize bad intentions
- What do implications mean
- What clogs in an induction motor
- Who is responsible for the Ukraine crisis
- How do I find my stolen Mac
- Why should you stand for election?
- Can I use PVC pipes for drainage?
- What is Trumpian right
- When can cheap used cars be dangerous?
- What's wrong with my Android code
- How can we contain pollution