What is a D EL Ed degree

Master of Education / Master MEEF (binational)

Who is this Masters aimed at?

The German-French integrated master’s degree in secondary education is primarily aimed at graduates of the integrated teaching degree in Mainz-Dijon. It builds on the achievements made in the Bachelor's degree and thus enables the binational orientation of the course to be maintained. After successfully completing the course, the graduates have the option of starting a teaching post in Germany as well as in France.

In individual cases and under certain conditions, lateral entry (i.e. entry into the Master's without having studied the Mainz-Dijon Bachelor) is possible. If you are interested, please contact the Dijon office in good time. You can find more detailed information in the navigation on the left under "Application".

In which subjects can I study this master’s degree?

The German and French teacher training systems differ, among other things, in that two subjects are taught in German schools, but only one subject is taught in French schools.

The selectable subject combinations in the M.Ed. Mainz-Dijon are designed so that in Tray 2 the French teaching qualification is acquired (cf. German-French integrated teaching degree in upper secondary education). As subject 2, the following subjects can be chosen in the integrated Master of Education / Master MEEF Mainz-Dijon: French German or English.

The subjects that can be selected as subject 1 result from the choice of subjects of the integrated teaching degree in Mainz-Dijon (see https://www.dijon.uni-mainz.de/lehramt/#Studienfcher).

In order to select the combination of subjects that is right for you, please find out more before you apply for the bachelor's degree. The Dijon office will be happy to advise you on this.

How is the master’s course structured?

The German and French students of the M.Ed./Master MEEF Mainz-Dijon form a joint year group that goes through the course together. The students spend the first year of their master’s degree at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the second year at the Université de Bourgogne and the ESPE (Ecole Supérieure du Professorat et de l’Education) in Dijon. The year in Dijon is the first year of the Master MEEF there ("Métiers de l'enseignement, de l'éducation et de la formation"). It concludes with the Concours du CAPES (Certificat d'aptitude au professorat de l'enseignement du second degré). After passing the CAPES, students are entitled to a place for the second year of the MEEF Master’s degree, in which mainly practical training takes place. A transition to the second MEEF year in France is associated with a provisional civil service and a salary. At the same time, by writing the master's thesis after the CAPES exams, the German Master of Education is obtained. If you do not pass the CAPES or do not want to move on to the second MEEF year, the Mainz M.Ed. with the master's thesis and receives a certificate of successful completion of the MEEF 1.

What comes after the binational master?

After passing the Concours du CAPES, graduates can start a binational preparatory service (legal clerkship). This consists of the practical MEEF2 year in Dijon and a further year of the EU adaptation course in Rhineland-Palatinate. Upon successful completion, the candidates receive a teaching qualification in Germany and France.