Which countries still carry out animal tests?
Animal experimentation statistics
Published by Statista Research Department on Aug 24, 2020On March 11, 2013, the EU-wide ban on the sale of cosmetic products and ingredients that had previously been tested on animals came into force. Animal testing for cosmetics has been banned in Germany since 1998 and in the European Union since 2004. The now recognized sales ban is intended to prevent companies from relocating the testing of raw materials and end products to third countries in order to then import them into the EU.
Since the introduction of the Laboratory Animal Registration Ordinance in 1989, there has been a legal obligation in Germany to register laboratory animals. While the number of experimental animals decreased by 1.1 million animals between 1989 and 1997, the number of animals used for scientific experiments increased by around 1.08 million animals in the last 10 years and reached the highest level of around 2 in 2011, 9 million laboratory animals. The renewed increase is due to the increased use of transgenic mice. With 261 animal experiments officially registered in the database for animal experiments, Munich ranks first among the animal experiment strongholds in Germany.
Animal experiments approved in Germany are carried out in particular in the field of basic biological research and drug research. Experimental animals are also used in product manufacture, quality control and toxicology. In 2011, basic biological research accounted for around 35 percent of all animals, research and development of pharmaceuticals accounted for around 16 percent. The smallest proportion was used in the context of toxicology, the toxicity tests.
The most common test animals in Germany are rodents such as mice and rats in research laboratories. In particular, cancer and metabolic diseases as well as genomes and stem cells are researched.
- How long does a motherboard last
- How does Utah smell
- Where did the Olympic Games take place
- Is your father known
- What is a mobile reporting application
- You can connect headphones to the iPhone XR
- What an animal name that gives me milk
- How do I update Samsung TV apps
- How does it feel to suffocate
- May cause PTSD to medical schools
- Why does altitude training extend the athletic career
- Everything lonely is grammatically correct
- Where can I find these ISO standards
- Why do people push away spiritual support?
- What sports were invented by Canadians
- Where do I start to study cognitive technologies
- What types of markets are there
- What is the race of a man
- Covers the criminal offense
- Which is the best game prediction website
- Can someone say mood of his personality
- How is the IT branch in CUSAT
- How can people stop thinking
- What is a jQuery bug in jQuery