What is polyethylene glycol
What actually is ... polyethylene glycol?
Sun protection and PEG
The use of PEG in sunscreens is particularly critical. PEG compounds can cause sun pimples, the so-called Mallorca acne. Spending long periods of time in the sun is stressful to the skin: When you sweat, fluid evaporates on the skin and reacts chemically with the sunscreen. This weakens their natural protective acid mantle. “The skin opens the door to pollutants,” says Plum.
Daily handling of pollutants
Ethoxylated substances and PEG are contained not only in cosmetics, but also in many other everyday products. These include, for example, detergents and cleaning agents, polishes, water-based paints, pencils, pharmaceuticals and textiles. "Our body constantly reacts with different substances from the environment," says Plum. This is how the harmful substances that are contained in everyday objects also get into our organism.
We ingest some of these substances through the respiratory tract and food, and some through contact with the skin. For example, when we use personal care products and wear textiles on the skin that have been processed using PEG, we are in direct contact with the synthetic fabrics for several hours.
Burden on the environment
In addition, these substances represent an enormous burden for the environment. Chemical-synthetic substances such as ethoxylated substances and polyethylene glycols are manufactured in such a way that they are stable and therefore have a long shelf life. As a result, they can only be broken down with difficulty by microorganisms in the environment.
“It can take many decades for the chemicals to break down completely,” explains Plum. “We can only guess how long we will have to live with these pollutants. But fortunately we have the alternative of being able to use real natural products that are free from PEG and ethoxylated substances. "
- How often do you refinance a mortgage
- What is fulfillment by Amazon
- Why is the semen difficult to swallow
- What is your experience with EMDR?
- How is a diode an active device?
- Can cancer be passed on
- Do fish have muscles?
- Is there an explanation for your reputation
- What's your rating of Some RandomThoughts
- How would you summarize The Wire
- Why do vegans feel superior to vegetarians
- Who was Oliver Cromwell
- Where can I buy Swedish meatballs
- Why do people like to pet dogs
- If our body is 99 999 empty
- What is a Budget Vehicle Scan Tool
- Is the piano overrated?
- Should I get an art display
- What did Mother Teresa fight against?
- What is the population of Szczecin
- What do you learn in AP Macroeconomics
- Is English better according to ISC
- How would you describe your current president
- What can cause a sore dry cough