How search engines get paid
Search engine marketing: be found on the Internet
SEM, SEO, SEA: a brief explanation of terms
Search engine marketing is characterized by numerous English-language terms and abbreviations. SEM, SEO, SEA are probably some of the most common technical terms that are also quite easy to explain:
- SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing, which means nothing more than search engine marketing and acts as a generic term for all measures.
- SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which stands for search engine optimization and, in search engine marketing, aims to ensure that your own website is as high up as possible in the search results for the desired search queries.
- SEA stands for Search Engine Advertising, here you pay for an advertisement that appears above the organic search results for certain search queries, for example.
Both areas of search engine marketing - SEO and SEA - undoubtedly fill entire books. Therefore we would like to give you an overview first. In practice, it makes sense to work with agencies that specialize in search engine marketing. However, you should also have an insight into the topic yourself so that you can critically question the measures. Because only then will your search engine marketing work efficiently and sustainably.
Numerous conferences around the topic of search engine marketing take place across Germany every year. It's worth a visit! We have compiled some of the conferences for you on our Retail & E-Commerce page.Overview of the conferences
Search engine optimization: place your website at the top
Why is search engine optimization so important in search engine marketing? Everyone knows it: you search for something on the Internet and first enter a term in the search engine. Usually this is Google and then you click on one of the first search results. From the point of view of a founder or start-up, it is of course desirable to place your own offer as high as possible in the search results. In practice, hardly anyone clicks beyond the first five hits and so you lose a valuable prospect to the competitor. This brief description makes it clear why search engine optimization plays such an important role in search engine marketing.
So that your own website is as far ahead as possible, there are various factors for search engine marketing that should be taken into account and that can be divided into on-page and off-page measures.
On-page search engine optimization: this includes measures for search engine marketing that specifically relate to your own website and which include:
- As part of content marketing, write texts with added value that are optimized for selected keywords
- Fill in page titles, page descriptions, additional metadata
- Use speaking URLs
- Lean programming - pay attention to the code to text ratio
- Build a meaningful internal link structure
- Increase the length of stay and reduce the bounce rate on your side
Off-page search engine optimization: this includes everything that you do outside of your page for search engine optimization and search engine marketing, such as:
- Build up a good backlink structure, in other words, achieve that other high-quality pages link to your content
- Send social media signals: Search engines also pay attention to how often websites appear in social networks
- Online PR in search engine marketing: if you manage to get news portals or newspapers to report on your offer in their online areas, this also contributes to off-page optimization
Of course, these measures only represent the basis of search engine optimization for search engine marketing. For the individual factors, numerous subtleties must then be taken into account. Learn more about SEO here.
Search Engine Marketing for Local Businesses: How Google My Business will find you on local searches.Google My Business for founders
SEO agencies support you with search engine marketing
As mentioned above, it is a good idea to work with agencies on search engine marketing. However, when choosing the agency, you should proceed carefully and consider the following tips:
- A ranking in first place does not come overnight - agencies that promise you this should be scrutinized particularly critically.
- Search engine optimization is a continuous process and not a one-off action.
- Through regular Google updates, previously successful measures can quickly lead to a penalty in the ranking - SEO must be made sustainable.
Search Engine Marketing Part 2: Buying Ads on Google
The second major area of search engine marketing is buying display space around search results. This makes it possible to be noticed by the user even if one has not yet made it into the top results of the organic search. At Google, these ads are created using the Google Ads Tool.
Essentially, the following steps must be observed when using Google Ads for search engine marketing:
- Select suitable keywords for search engine marketing: Which search queries should your ad appear on? For this purpose, Google Ads offers a Keyword Planner that calculates the number of search requests for the respective keywords.
- Create advertisements: You then create various campaigns with the desired advertisement texts with the help of Google.
- Determine the budget for search engine marketing: of course, your competitors are already bidding on certain keywords - depending on the bid, the order in which the ads will be placed is determined.
With search engine marketing via Google Ads, you then pay on a CPC (cost per click) basis, i.e. when someone has clicked on your ad. This seems like a charming way for search engine marketing to begin with. However, depending on the competition, the prices for keywords are often very high. And when you click on your ad, there's no purchase associated with it. The focus then shifts to the conversion - i.e. the proportion of those who actually buy after clicking on the ad.
There are also specialized agencies and service providers for this area of SEA in search engine marketing who have a lot of experience in optimizing advertising campaigns.
Conclusion on the topic of search engine marketing
Regardless of whether it is search engine marketing through search engine optimization or advertising in the search engines - all routes cost money. When it comes to search engine optimization, there is also the additional factor of time, since success for search engine marketing usually only occurs gradually. Placing ads is sure to bring customers to you faster at first. But with this variant in search engine marketing you have to spend money again and again for every click.
Getting traffic to your own website is only one factor in good search engine marketing. Converting this traffic into customers and retaining these customers in the long term is just as important, if not even more important. So before you start the campaign with a large budget for search engine marketing, make sure that your website or web shop is also optimized to generate sales. And afterwards, you should invest in good email marketing for permanent customer loyalty.
If you want to cast your search engine marketing in numbers as part of the marketing concept for your business plan, you can use our tool for calculating the marketing budget.Marketing budget calculation tool
As editor-in-chief, René Klein has been responsible for the content of the portal and all publications by Für-Gründer.de for over 10 years. He is a regular interlocutor in other media and writes numerous external specialist articles on start-up topics. Before his time as editor-in-chief and co-founder of Für-Gründer.de, he advised listed companies in the field of financial market communication.
- Can I get a visa before the police check
- Can you give a prediction from my Kundli?
- Why planes don't fly gimbal engines
- How do scientific satellites work?
- Authors, what's your experience with ProWritingAid
- Do you know HAARP
- What plants are used to cure headaches
- What is a fact about the ocean
- A negative number is a perfect square
- Would Britain survive a nuclear war?
- How does photogrammetry work
- Should I kiss my crush
- What kind of adventure sports are there in Uttarakhand
- Has iOS moved the keyboard
- What are some fun high school events
- What is impulse 1
- How are index fossils used
- Is it illegal to film gruesome deaths?
- What is your expected package at SVNIT
- What would you pay to buy Coinbase?
- Did you meet online in prison?
- How does myunidays com make money
- Which GOP candidate can beat Hillary Clinton
- How do I code a simple bot