How are the rivers in India protected?
In front of the lens - environmental news March 18-24, 2017
In India's northern state of Uttarakhand, the High Court has declared the Ganges and Yamuna rivers "legal entities". This gives them the same rights as people. The judges said they came to this decision because they hope the rivers will be better protected.
The Ganges, India's longest river, is sacred to more than a billion Indians. The Hindus hold ritual baths in the river. Untreated sewage and industrial waste have made the Ganges one of the most polluted rivers in the world.
Even a seven-hour operation in which almost 1,000 coins, weighing a total of five kilograms, were removed from the stomach of a sea turtle in Thailand, could not save the animal. Osmin, which translates as "piggy bank", lived in a pond into which visitors kept throwing money because it was supposed to bring good luck. The case was made public in the hope that people will pay more attention to animal welfare in the future.
Environmental groups claim that the chemical company "Monsanto" has actively influenced studies on the risks and dangers of the weed killer glyphosate. In a report entitled "Glyphosate and cancer: Buying science", a citizens' initiative writes that numerous scientific studies that were used by EU and US authorities for the risk assessment of the active ingredient are under Involvement of researchers who have a conflict of interest. Their judgment is not independent because they are in part closely related to Monsanto.
On the South Pacific island of Rarotonga, fish have developed a special survival strategy. In order to escape their predators, the animals flee on land. In a study that was published in the magazine "The American Naturalist", scientists from "UNSW Sidney" and the "Australian National University" report on four species of blenniiformes that jump out of water and stay in the air for a long time spend the rock.
"For the slimy fish, the ocean has turned out to be a place full of enemies who want to eat the small fish. Life on the rocks, with birds as the greatest challenge, is less dangerous for them," says study leader Terry Odd.
- Non-accredited investors can use SharesPost
- Can we play DOTA 2 on Linux?
- Which are the SEO and SMO companies
- What is Sonoma CA known for
- Are Syrian rebels against Assad
- What volcanic rocks float on the water
- Could replace iron lithium in batteries
- How liberal is the Swiss government
- Who designed the dome of St. Peters
- What makes computers so fascinating
- What is sound stage in headphones
- What is the worst class in Miitopia
- Are covert narcissists passively aggressive or sadistic
- How is Pace Akola
- How Yelp Checks Fake Reviews
- Anyone who designed Airbnb experiences posters
- What is a bisulfate ion
- What is PHP Technology
- What is a specialist in child development
- How can Pete Buttigieg capture black voices
- Why is snake venom so expensive
- How do I apply for Masters
- Bloggers Make Money On Quora
- IBS causes fatigue