Modernization makes life hell
The ecological crisis is omnipresent, and airlines have apparently been fighting for a long time
and car manufacturers (media-effective) against it. The narrative: We can save our planet without fundamentally changing our way of life. We just have to consume properly!
These attempts - they are now called "green capitalism", "sustainable growth" or "ecological modernization" - are demonstrably doomed to failure. It is less about dealing with the ecological crisis than about opening up new fields of capitalist accumulation, ultimately about the ideological maintenance of existing relationships of power and domination.
Following on from Herbert Marcuse, Johannes Greß tries to throw a new perspective on the current ideological function of consumption. The guideline for action is Marcuse's thesis, according to which consumption functions as the ideology for integrating the (oppositional) masses into the capitalist system.
Marcuse's theses are subjected to a theoretical and conceptual revision and supplemented by considerations by Ernesto Laclau and Slavoj Žižek. In the following, concrete, current “ideological symptoms” are examined based on these considerations: Why does a German transport minister defend himself against any scientific evidence with hands, feet and photo interviews against a speed limit on German motorways?
Small details and unevenness in everyday life are described, which point to a larger, systemic ideological dysfunction. In order to focus on this, one needs an understanding of consumer ideology as the result of a «politics of jouissance», the targeted stimulation and administration of (consumer) needs.
From organic bananas, Postdemokr. and Green Capatalism
(estimated retail price
including VAT, plus postage)
Not released yet
Author infoJohannes Greß
backgroundPreview autumn 21 (politics)
- What is the most inert gas
- Everything lonely is grammatically correct
- PMP certification is useful in India
- Who can avail NRE and NRO accounts
- What colors mixed into brown
- What are some sentence examples with lively
- Why did the DNC sabotage Bernie Sanders
- Electricity was discovered
- Which CCIE is the best
- Why is Kufri famous
- Can electromagnetic waves move through time?
- There is more demand for biomedical engineers
- Are rabbis obliged to marry?
- What is the fiber laser cutter
- Is an atomic energy
- Which war was the most one-sided
- Which international companies should come to Pakistan
- Was appointed Robert Mueller by Obama
- Difference between node and vertex in GIS
- How many subscribers does GigaOm Pro
- Get a job at AWS fresher
- You can sleep in the Apple Watch
- Mobile app to write a book
- What is Breed Crossing in Population Genetics