Damaged water glasses
In the case of old insulating glazing with internal metal foils instead of coatings, damage to the foil is known which leads to the panes becoming blind. The thermal or sun protection coatings in the space between the panes can also corrode under certain circumstances in the event of failure of the edge seal and the ingress of water.
Corrosion processes in the area of the frame constructions or of glass holders, which lead to forced stresses on the panes and thus to breakage due to the associated volume expansion, are critical. In the case of metals, corrosion can also be triggered by direct contact between noble and non-noble metals. If water runs off and is mixed with corrosion residues, visible stripes form on the glass surface. In addition, certain lubricants with which sealing profiles are used in the frame construction can cause changes to the glass surface.
Glass is very resistant to most chemicals. In the case of alkaline attack, however, glass is very sensitive and the surface is burned. This can happen, for example, with water that runs over fresh concrete surfaces, becomes alkaline, and then hits the glass surface. At pH values> 9 to 10, these chemical burns are quickly visible. Aggressive cleaning agents with alkaline components can also cause chemical burns.
But the ion content in the water can also lead to surface damage - but with significantly lower reaction speeds. This process is also known as leaching. Ionized water molecules (H₃O + and HO-), which attack the glass network near the surface, are responsible for this. The result is a white, haptically and visually “dull” coating on the glass surface, which is both visible and tangible. In addition, with very old panes, e.g. certain colored glass in church windows, weathering processes occur on the glass surface, which considerably reduce the transparency of the panes.
Unfortunately, dirt, especially on glass roofs, can also damage the glass surface. In the case of permanent accumulations of dirt with frequent wet-dry phases, components of the dirt can literally eat themselves in. Finally, improper storage of the glass by stacking it outdoors (water ingress) can lead to a significant change in the glass surface.
Expertise on the subject
Coatings of glass
Coatings on glass surfaces are divided into thin film and thick film layers. While the former layer thicknesses of <1 µm ...
Manufacture / properties
Optical properties of glass
The essential property of glass is its light transmission in the spectral range of 380, which is optically visible to humans
Sun protection: sun protection glasses
Just as with thermal insulation glazing, ultra-thin low-E coatings made of precious metals are used today for solar control insulating glass ...
Security / load capacity
In addition to the compulsory stresses that can be calculated according to plan, such as climatically induced loads during ...
BauNetz Wissen Glas sponsored by:
Saint-Gobain Glass Germany
- What are motherboard configurations
- Should I combine Forex with other markets?
- What are my chances at UVA
- Why does Misiones belong to Argentina
- Which are the best virtual reality glasses
- Can WhatsApp be sued under the Competition Act
- What is the most inert gas
- What was Google's best acquisition
- How can I buy 9mobile data
- What is Odysseus' smartest move
- RVCE Banglore is good for aerospace engineering
- What are some hydropower generation methods
- What is pagodas
- What is Shapoorji Pallonji Oshiwara
- What is pagodas
- Artificial turf increases the house value
- How are fonts tested for legibility
- Will the Aam Aadmi Party grow in popularity
- Why is Nero important
- Which tractor battery should I choose?
- How is Kotak Securities
- How many rupees is a million dollars
- Counseling can help a relationship
- What are some tricks to reduce waste
- How can I see Naruto finished faster
- Why do crows throw up on people most of the time
- Where can I get Mole Concept Notes
- Why does Kejriwal accuse Anil Ambani
- Are the warriors overrated?
- Why is Fonera not popular in Singapore
- Why did you buy a Corvette?
- How do strong bases burn you?
- What are Hush Hush blood tests
- What is the curriculum of AKTU