What are some neurotransmitters like serotonin
Neurotransmitters are heterogeneous biochemical substances that pass information from one nerve cell to another via the contact point of the nerve cells, the synapse. Electrical impulses (action potentials) entering the synapse cause the chemical messenger substances to be released from their storage locations, the synaptic vesicles. This happens through an exocytotic mechanism. As a result of the fusion of the vesicle membrane with the membrane of the presynaptic nerve endings, the transmitter molecules reach the synaptic gap, through which they diffuse to the receptors of the post-synaptic neuron connected downstream. After their release, the neurotransmitters are deactivated and / or broken down in various ways.
The most important excitatory transmitter in the central nervous system (CNS) is glutamate. The most important inhibitory transmitters in the CNS are gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and glycine. Other known transmitters are noradrenaline or acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin.
The effect of the neurotransmitters is often modulated by other substances, one speaks of so-called neuromodulators.
The doctrine that messenger substances are only released at the synapses is questioned in a "Nature Neuroscience" article. An experiment on rats by the Bonn neuroscientists Dirk Dietrich, Maria Kukley and Estibaliz Capetillo-Zarate suggests that the messenger substances could be released over the entire length of the nerve cell extensions.
The neurotransmitters can be divided into different types according to substance classes. The most important neurotransmitters are:
- What are some self-referential words
- Why isn't he talking?
- Which processor is best for budget laptops?
- Is an internship after the 3rd year really important?
- How will qayamat happen
- How was autotune invented
- Is there a reason in the fight
- How many n-bit binary strings are there
- What is another word for partner
- Are power cuts a sign of alcoholism?
- Is heat a substance
- What is the harvest year in agriculture
- What kind of unicode character is that U0001f436
- What is digital recruitment
- Damaged water glasses
- How can I download subtitles for friends
- What is zirconium nitride
- How do I pronounce the name Evelina
- How does a doctor stay fit
- Walking reduces weight
- How does India's anti-satellite weapon work
- What is a mistake in the pharmacy
- Can you hide piercings in the army
- What does it mean to be a Rastafarian