How can I spot fake silver
Recognize silver - real or not?
The so-called sterling silver consists of about 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent copper. The copper ensures the stability of the silver, since pure silver is very soft and can be easily indented. If you have any doubts about the authenticity, a picture on the stamp with the degree of purity of the silver usually helps.
Embossing in silver
In most countries, it is common for silver to be embossed, which provides information about the purity content. This minting is also required in the worldwide trade in silver. However, if there is no embossing, this is not necessarily an indication of fake silver.
- Embossing 925 - sterling silver - 92.5 percent silver, the rest copper
- Minting 900 or 800 - also known as coin silver - 90 or 80 percent silver, the rest copper
Little trick - magnet
You should take a strong magnet with you when you go to the flea market. Since silver has no magnetic properties, fraud with a silver-plated or fake piece of jewelry is quickly revealed by testing with a magnet.
If there is no embossing or if there are doubts about the embossing, you can find out the silver content with a chemical analysis. There are acid tests for silver on the market. However, your piece of silver is easily damaged in the process. An inconspicuous part of the silver should be lightly scratched. If it is suspected that it is simply a silver coating or plating, the scratch should be deep enough.
A test set usually contains a small black stone plate, which should be rubbed over the silver at the scratched area. Then we dripped a drop of the test acid on this point.
The color indicates the purity of the silver:
- Fine silver - light red
- Sterling silver - dark red
- 800 silver - brown
- Tin or lead - yellow
- Bronze - brown very dark
- Nickel - blue
- Why am I such an asshole
- What does the Coca Cola company sell
- How do I strengthen trembling front teeth
- Fenugreek can burn fats or reduce weight
- Are tuna salad sandwiches healthy
- Carpooling can be a home business
- What is an INNER JOIN
- Radon is used for cancer therapy
- Which automotive company is initiating lean manufacturing
- What is a thematic map
- Why not separate mutually incomprehensible dialects of languages
- How will 2019 end
- Where are the thalamus and hypothalamus located
- What are the characteristics of a roadway
- Why is my website battling sales
- Dizziness can be a sign of cancer
- What are misunderstandings about Gaza
- Can folic acid increase the risk of cancer
- Can I eat lemon with almond milk
- What Are Some Good Start Jacking Sites
- Do you ever fall in love with a guy?
- What is accelerated corrosion
- Will the Final Fantasy series ever end?
- Is plasma a good conductor of electricity