Will AI be helpful in the future
What you need to know about ethics in AI
Make sure AI is helpful and not a threat
When it comes to talking about artificial intelligence, sooner or later we have to discuss a few ethical rules on the subject.
Even if artificial intelligence is completely new and cannot be compared with anything in human history, there must be certain basic rules and norms as to what this intelligence should be able to do, where limits must be set, what is allowed and what is not. Otherwise the risk of misuse of the AI could become too great, and in the worst case the AI could become harmful and dangerous instead of being beneficial, helpful and constructive. Referring to the quote from Stephen Hawking from Web summit technology conference:
“Success in creating effective artificial intelligence could be the greatest event in the history of our civilization. Or the worst. So we cannot know whether artificial intelligence will help us infinitely or whether it will be ignored and pushed aside or possibly destroyed. "
- Stephen Hawking
That is why many institutes, authorities and organizations advise on guidelines and ethics for the imminent use of AI.
The basics of ethics in AI
As mentioned earlier, many groups and organizations are heavily involved in this issue. For example, the European Commission has set up the “Independent High Level Expert Group on Artificial Intelligence” to develop an ethical guide to trustworthy AI. The group's document provides a framework for trustworthy development of AI and everything related to it. The key points of the document are that AI must be legal, robust and ethical. Everything is based on four ethical principles:
- Respect for human autonomy
- Preventing harm
These principles are based on basic human rights and have been adapted to AI. That sounds promising, but how do you make sure this works and the guidelines are followed? Here we have what is known as the "Trustworthy AI" implementation. The working group defines seven requirements to check whether this ethic can be realized in everyday business and aspects of life in the future:
- Human agencies and supervision
- Technical robustness and security
- Data protection and data management
- Diversity, non-discrimination and fairness
- Social and environmental well-being
Since AI is still a very young discipline and we are at the beginning of this technology (in the phase of "Artificial Narrow Intelligence"), it is of course not only absolutely sensible, but also imperative to have clear standards and guidelines in the field of AI. Define ethics.
AI needs the participation of society, governments and business
As mentioned earlier, artificial intelligence is already taking place in so many areas of people's everyday lives. And because of the sheer scale of artificial intelligence implementation, it's critical to have clear instructions on how to do this. But that automatically leads us to the following question: Who sets the ethics and on the basis of which standards? Leaving these decisions to the economists and government institutions involved could be incoherent. It requires the synergy of many experts from politics and business as well as academics, scientists and undoubtedly sociology.
Clear standards and framework conditions can only be created through a deep and broad understanding of the possibilities, but also of the dangers and threats of AI. That is why experts from many different areas are needed to work together on the ethics of AI. That is what makes this whole subject so fundamentally important. For example, a sociologist may have a good understanding of pre-existing, shared ethical norms, but they likely have no understanding of the capabilities of AI and all that it can do.
Access to our
✓ Dozens of templates for data-driven marketers
✓ Expert tips on how to improve your marketing
✓ Checklists and instructions for campaign optimization
✓ Best tools for AI in marketing
✓ Recorded webinars
- How can I buy a USB hub
- Is marijuana good for bipolar depression?
- What is the national flower of Cyprus
- Is there a Terapeak competitive research alternative
- At what point in time are the results declared
- Is a BBA difficult or not
- What is the frame rate in the receiver
- How can you fry fish fingers?
- How does obsessive-compulsive disorder affect dreaming?
- What is spherically symmetrical
- Can take Herbalife products for 400 sugar patients
- How do I do the following task
- Mindfulness exercises help with ADHD
- What is life without friends and companions
- How is India's corporate culture
- What is Meddic Sales Methodology
- What are investment management systems
- A change in reality is actually possible
- What is System V.
- Why haven't Asian countries contributed more innovation?
- How do you suppress interference in your home
- Which course is better selenium or DevOps
- Which element has the chemical symbol Be
- What are serial numbers