What is the best beach in Madagascar
Beaches of Madagascar
A trip to Madagascar without a beach holiday afterwards? Unthinkable! The island is surrounded by the Indian Ocean and with almost 5000 km of coastline has many bathing opportunities with a paradisiacal backdrop, white, empty sandy beach and colorful underwater world.
But bathing is not possible and recommended in all coastal waters of Madagascar. Here you can find out which stretches of beach are located on which stretches of coast and which are touristically developed and usable.
Find out where the beach hotspots are here! The DIAMIR experts will advise you on your dream beach holiday.
Where can you swim in Madagascar - and where not?
Basically: Madagascar's west coast is more suitable for a beach holiday than the east and south coast. Because the reef keeps the high surf low, making snorkeling and swimming possible and safe.
Madagascar's east coast is rough, steeply sloping and little protected, as the reef is far out and sharks occasionally come to the coast. The northern part of the coast above Taomasina (the quiet Nosy Bohara with neighboring island, Masoala National Park with rainforest in the background) is ideal for beach bathing. There are also a few beaches near Taolagnaro such as the Libanona Baie. Otherwise the current is very strong
Madagascar's north coast is tropical and is ideal for swimming with wide white sandy beaches and blue water. This is where the well-known, busy bathing island of Nosy Be, its neighboring islands and the beaches around Antsiranana (Diego-Suarez) such as Ramena Bay, the Emerald Sea and Sakalava Beach are located.
Madagascar's south coast is only for the intrepid. There is no tourist infrastructure here, instead arid and barren conditions dominate and the region between Isalo National Park and Toalagnaro should not be crossed by car. In addition, the current is very strong and does not make bathing safe.
bathing forbidden: We advise against bathing in fresh water in Madagascar. On the one hand, crocodiles often live in the calm waters of the inland, and on the other hand, an infection with schistosomiasis cannot be ruled out. Most of the lakes are subject to bans anyway, so-called "fadys" - culture and religion forbid bathing or "polluting" the water.
Our Madagascar beach recommendation
- Nosy Sainte Marie: On the island ("Nosy") in the east of Madagascar there are white sandy beaches, water with little waves and palm trees. The accommodations are typically small - without mass tourism. Perfect for swimming, but without any other leisure activities.
- Nosy Be Island: The island in northwest Madagascar also offers variety beyond everyday beach life: In addition to the Lokobe nature reserve, there is a colonial capital with water sports and hiking opportunities.
- Libanona Beach in Tolagnaro: a quiet bay with little waves, where there are hardly any other beaches
- Anakao: south of Toliara is the small fishing and beach town, which is still a little less known, can only be reached by boat, but there is less mass tourism and all the more clean sandy beaches
- Ifaty and Mangily: north of Toliara on the west coast, these two fishing villages are very close to each other with a good tourist infrastructure.
- Antsanitia: the still relatively unknown beach town is 20 km north of Mahajanga
- Ankify: Is a small village on Madagascar's northwest coast with warm water, coconut trees and good snorkeling opportunities
- Ambodiforaha: A beautiful bay with a sandy beach is located near the small village in the Masoala Forest
- Nosy Vé: The island is directly across from Anakao and has a nature reserve with entry and hiking trails. There are long, lonely sandy beaches here.
- India is mighty
- Which is the best black coffee
- What is a laser disc
- Which Toyota Corolla models are manual
- Freud was full of crap
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the IIIT Delhi
- Is it rude to express unsolicited criticism?
- Is this a limit to human strength
- What is axial load
- Pain management is really just about pill pushing
- Who was right in WWII
- All great thinkers are pessimists
- What are the most common male insecurities
- How do I make an hourglass
- How do stars release energy?
- Are all micro-attacks racially ethnic
- Which GCSEs should I choose
- Botswana is a 3rd world country
- Pakistan begins to reduce its corruption
- How can I find someone in the jungle
- Was Bill Gates' father really a logger
- Have you ever lied about your GPA?
- Do you really love this world
- Is SAE 30 the same as 30w