Is your shoulder pain a neck problem
Home remedies: what helps with neck pain?
Anyone who suffers from neck pain likes to take medication to get rid of the painful pulling as quickly as possible. But there are also some simple home remedies that you can use to loosen tension quickly and effectively.
Neck pain, shoulder pain, headache - people who spend a lot of time at their desks have problems with their cervical spine. Many then resort to pain relievers as a quick fix. Although drugs can provide short-term relief, they usually do not tackle the cause.
The reason is as follows: The active ingredients paracetamol, ibuprofen, diclofenac and acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) belong to the so-called anti-inflammatory drugs. So they only work when there is inflammation. In most cases, however, neck problems are a result of muscle tension. Instead, sufferers can take a few simple steps to relieve their pain.
Warmth is good for tense muscles. This causes the vessels to widen, the blood circulation is stimulated and the muscles are supplied with important nutrients. The following measures help to relax and de-cramp the muscles:
- Full bath: Get in the bathtub for at least 15 minutes and make sure that your neck is also under the water. A few drops of chamomile oil as a bath additive provide additional relaxation.
- Sauna and steam bath: Going to the sauna can also relieve neck tension. The moist warmth of a steam sauna works even deeper in the muscles. However, it is better to leave out the shoulder and neck area afterwards when showering cold to prevent further cramping.
- Cherry stone pillow or millet pillow:Cherry stone and millet pillows store heat for a long time and gradually release it again. Warm the pillow by placing it in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 150 degrees.
- Red light lamp: Infrared light has a beneficial effect on body and soul. Sit at a distance of approx. 40 centimeters in front of the heat lamp. The exposure should last about 20 minutes.
- Heat ointment
- Heat patch
- Hot water bottle
Danger: Heat only helps with muscle tension. On the other hand, if inflammation is the cause of the neck pain, cold is more effective.
If the neck and shoulders are tense, a careful massage can loosen the muscles. Use the opposite hand of the aching shoulder and massage in circular movements. You can also use a massage ball, tennis ball or a fascia roller for self-massage. A massage works even better in connection with a previous application of heat and heated massage oil.
If you have severe neck pain and blockages, you should consult a physiotherapist or chiropractor. Manual therapies may only be carried out, however, if injuries to the spine have been ruled out. Before having neck pain treated in this way, you should therefore first have a doctor diagnose the exact cause.
"The best remedy for existing tension is light exercise," emphasizes Professor Herbert Löllgen from the German Society for Sports Medicine and Prevention. By relieving the pain, the pain only solidifies. Instead, the muscles can use simple Exercises for the neck be loosened, stretched and strengthened.
Also lighter Endurance sportslike cycling or walking, relaxes and trains the neck muscles. You should refrain from breaststroke swimming or martial arts if you have neck pain.
Pay more attention to your posture in the office. The viewing angle to the screen and the seat height should be ergonomically aligned so that your head is in a natural and relaxed position. Sufficient lighting, a headset when making a phone call and regular exercise can also help to relax cramped neck muscles.
Avoid stress and treat yourself to some wellness every now and then. A hot bath, a massage or a mud pack loosen up the muscles nicely. Meditation and yoga can also help relax the muscles and at the same time prevent tension. Regular relaxation is particularly important in the case of psychologically-related neck pain.
6. Sleep properly
To relieve tension in the neck, it can already help to rethink your sleep behavior. If possible, do not sleep on your stomach, as this will bend your head unnaturally. Instead, get an ergonomic pillow and a custom-fit mattress that allow a back-friendly sleeping position. With a neck pillow you can take a nap on the plane, car or train without waking up with pain.
7. Arnica ointment
Arnica ointments can provide quick relief from acute neck pain. The essential oil of the medicinal plant has anti-inflammatory effects and promotes blood circulation. Ointments that also contain menthol or eucalyptus relax and revitalize the affected muscles particularly well.
Chronic Neck Pain: Which Doctor Will Help?
If the home remedies mentioned no longer help and the symptoms persist for more than three months, you should consult a doctor. The first point of contact for the diagnosis and treatment of neck pain is usually the family doctor or orthopedic surgeon. In order to narrow down the exact type of neck pain, you should pay close attention to your symptoms and possibly write them down. This will speed up the examination and make it easier to decide on treatment options. If there are signs of paralysis, restricted mobility, tingling or numbness in the arms, hands, fingers, legs or feet, a neurologist should be consulted immediately.
- own research
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
more on the subject
- Neck pain,
- Back pain,
- Home remedies,
- What are private costs
- What is the pleasure of a guitarist
- To whom do C-level executives report
- How was the brachistochron curve discovered
- Allapattah is a safe area of Miami
- How can Wireshark help system administrators
- Is Colorado like Switzerland
- What is a toxic leadership style
- Who is the creator of Urban Decay
- What does NASA call its satellites
- What are the types of cummins engines
- How do I click on a
- Who benefits from an unstable Middle East
- Is made Xiaomi Redmi Indian
- What is the Expense Funding Board
- How much cheating happens in sports
- What is the atomic number of ytterium
- How can I buy Mistery Boxes
- What instruments did Mozart play?
- Kills baby powder bed bugs
- What are the options in McDonalds
- Is the universe gravitationally integrated
- How relevant is the theory of reincarnation
- Can I sell my photos quickly?