Who did Hominy first
How do I find / replace dry corn with a husk that has been removed for stews?
The closest you are likely to find in the US is Posole, which can also be referred to as "Nixtamal" or "Mote Pelado". Posole is available dried, canned, or frozen at most Latin American grocery stores or online. Specifically, look for those that contain corn that has been processed with some alkali like lime, potassium (sodium hydroxide), lye, or sodium carbonate.
The problem in the US is that the term hominy has many meanings, as the Anson Mills website explains:
In America we know Hominy as dried whole kernel corn that has first been soaked and then cooked in a culinary lime solution to remove the outer clear coating of the corn kernel or pericarp and to bring about a miraculous nutritional and taste transformation within the kernel in one process called Nixtamalization. Fresh hominy can be used as-is for stews (posole in Spanish), or it can be ground, while still moist, into masa, or chopped into fresh hominy grits (an extinct food route). Or it can be dried to make a whole hominy (also known as a posole or hominy). Dried hominy can then be ground into semolina or cornmeal (both of which are extinct in the US) or flour (known as "instant masa"). This next definition of Hominy is arcane: Hominy Grist (not “grits”) is any freshly ground corn grain that comes from a stone mill. The final statement about hominy is a classic southern interpretation of confusing terms: The popular southern name for a dish made from freshly prepared coarse grains is "hominy". Fading in New Orleans and now in other southern ports, the whole hominy is referred to as the "big hominy" and freshly made coarse-grains as the "little hominy".
Additionally, many canned hominy products available in the US like Manning's (and even some that claim to be "Mexican Style" like Juanita's) are steam peeled rather than soaked in an alkaline solution like most traditional hominy and posole products to become. These will often try to convert this to a positive by claiming "never used lye".
- Why don't asteroids have an orbit
- How do you get a refund from PayPal
- Where can I find Littleapp vouchers
- Why is social stratification inevitable?
- What is metagenomics
- Is the language inherited or learned
- Can a celebrity crush ruin your life
- What are the different types of spirituality
- What's your rating of HashLearn Now
- What are substitution reactions
- What sets you apart from others 15
- What kind of program is Microsoft Word
- Are all these questions of atheism a joke?
- Has meditation changed you for the better?
- What are the sources of pollution 2
- You can connect headphones to the iPhone XR
- Why do terrorists choose New York City
- Why is room black in color 1
- Have kings ruled Coimbatore
- How do terahertz sensors work
- What's great about Tool
- Why is happiness everything in today's world
- All mobile apps are made for cell phones
- What is Moseley's Law
- Airliners have parachutes
- What is Vietri ceramics
- What will my child's future be like?
- Exercise makes you smarter
- Who recovered Lukes Saebel
- Who supports the interest rate cut by the RBI?
- What are misunderstandings about Gaza
- Why does roast coffee reduce caffeine?
- Does crowdfunding work for an app
- Hypothyroidism may cause atrial fibrillation