Which vegetables are good for eyesight?
Healthy food for healthy eyes
The older you get, the worse your eyes get. But age is only one factor - how healthy we live is also decisive for our eyesight. You can prevent eye problems by eating foods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Foods with omega-3 fatty acids protect the macula
Studies have shown that the right diet can reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration by up to 30 percent. The macula is a very small area in the eye that needs to be well nourished because it uses up a lot of nutrients in the process of seeing. Omega-3 fatty acids as well as xeaxanthin and lutein are very important to protect the macula from free radicals. If this protection is missing, the retina changes. More and more metabolic waste products, the drusen, are deposited. The surface becomes uneven and the blood flow to the choroid in the eye is disturbed. The result: In the middle of the picture we see blurred, contours distorted.
That belongs on the menu
Broccoli, spinach, avocado, linseed oil and sea fish contain particularly high amounts of lutein and zea-xanthine as well as omega-3 fatty acids. If the macula is already sick, fresh food is no longer enough. Then experts recommend high-dose lutein, xea-xanthine and omega-3 fatty acids in the form of dietary supplements.
What other foods are good for the eyes?
- Carrots are good protection because they are high in beta-carotene. Our body converts this into vitamins A. Our eyes need it to produce fluid and so that we can see at dusk. Sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes and mango are also high in beta-carotene.
- Vitamin B is needed in all nerve processes, this also applies to the optic nerve. This means that vitamin B is consumed in the entire transmission, the entire perception of sight and also in the processing of the visual impressions. The best sources of vitamin B are seeds and kernels.
- Vitamin C and E have an antioxidant effect and protect our eyes from cell damage. Top suppliers are berries, citrus fruits, hazelnuts and almonds.
Not all of these foods can be eaten every day, so nutritionists advise focusing on broccoli, spinach, berries, and fish in particular. Broccoli and spinach contain lots of lutein - 100 grams of broccoli contain around 10 milligrams of lutein, as much as a kilo of carrots.
Tip: Many people find it easier to drink a lot than to eat sufficient amounts of healthy food. That is why a smoothie made from spinach and berries is the fastest way to consume as much eye health as possible.
Interview partner in the post:
Dr. Peter P. Kaupke, ophthalmologist
Drs. Kaupke, Miebach, Görges, Ehrich & Partner
Auguste-Baur-Strasse 1, 22587 Hamburg
Tel. (040) 86 64 32 30, Fax (040) 866 43 23 13
Niels Schulz-Ruhtenberg, specialist in general medicine, nutritional and sports medicine
Am Kaiserkai 46, Hamburg
Tel. (040) 64 66 17 60
Email: [email protected]
Internet: www.aerzteamkaiserkai.de, www.ernaehrungsmediziner.de
This topic in the program:
Visit | 06/07/2016 | 8:15 pm
- Can ECT make my depression worse
- Is it good to be successful quickly?
- What is the purpose of bird calls
- Lyndon B. Johnson was a cruel person
- What are the best Bollywood instrumental ringtones
- How did Dodgeball compare to Foursquare
- How did the ancient Egyptians communicate verbally
- What are the best medieval board games
- What are the properties of the catalyst
- Is Japan a peach or coconut culture?
- Jennifer Lawrence would stop being so amazing
- What is the main cause of Aurors
- Who was Pablo Picasso
- How is the internet coming to Australia
- How do I make a counterfeit check
- When is the next ICAR exam
- Can someone use the Libra blockchain
- What is aghori
- What is the longest running game today
- Slow-cooking chicken kills bacteria
- What forms of life are not welcome in heaven?
- How old is Debbie Dingell
- Are genes really discrete physical units?
- What is computer organization and architecture
- Why did the USA leave UNESCO
- Is right to work a lie
- Why do I read so slowly
- How is the cloudiness measured
- What is the full form of DIG
- What are the uses for lighthouses
- Are we already irrelevant
- What famous celebrities were born in October