What is a non-polar molecule
The structural formula of perchlorethylene
They are suitable for dissolving other non-polar substances such as grease (e.g. during dry cleaning). Because only non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar substances, just as only polar solvents dissolve polar substances. This is exactly where soap comes in.
Soap - mediator between the worlds
When washing, the soap plays the role of a mediator between the world of dirt (non-polar) and that of water (polar). It can be used to loosen greasy dirt in the water.
The soap is able to do this because it is a kind of hybrid molecule. It consists of a polar and a non-polar part. Polar is the small ionic (charged) group at one end of the molecule, this is called the "head". The long hydrocarbon chain of the rest of the molecule, also known as the "tail", is non-polar.
A soap anion with a polar "head", the ionic group,
and the non-polar "tail", the hydrocarbon chain.
If you put soap shavings in water, they do not dissolve down to individual molecules.
A micelle: aggregation of soap anions
Rather, they form a dispersion. The soap molecules accumulate in the water to form so-called micelles. These micelles are small spheres in which the non-polar tails of the molecules cluster together and the polar heads turn outwards. As a result, only the heads of the molecules have contact with the polar water. We also speak of hydrophilic heads, Greek for loving water, and hydrophobic, i.e. H. Water repellent tails.
- How is it in Milwaukee
- What is the expressionist theater
- What does Islam think of LGBT people
- What are non-metallic oxides
- What was Google's best acquisition
- When should I start training my dog?
- How does evolution explain belief
- Which drone is the cheapest in 2019
- Are rolls of film sent to the cinemas uncut
- How can I naturally reduce my WBC
- Can we see something through a satellite
- What are the best small tampons
- What Are Some Renowned Chinese Cosmetic Brands
- What is branding
- Why did you believe in karma 1
- What's the bonus in the NBA
- How can I make the best Beyblade
- Problem setting up DVR for remote connection
- What is the importance of Facebook 1
- How do I market ceramic tiles efficiently
- What is BTS next song
- What causes bloodshot eyes in my dog
- Why is there African time
- How important is my english
- What is technical force
- What is scalar and vector quantization
- Did you have a muffin today
- What does the transcriptionist do
- What is x if 10x 10 110
- What are small business ideas
- How long are working days normally
- What is 13 2 0
- How will 2019 end