May girls depressed men
Gender differences in depression
Depression is more common in women than in men - scientists have known this for decades. A team of researchers led by Rachel Salk from the University of Pittsburgh has now taken a closer look at this gender difference in two comprehensive meta-analyzes and has compiled extensive findings. The scientists published their results in the journal »Psychological Bulletin«.
Overall, Salk and her colleagues analyzed the data from more than 3.5 million people from over 90 different countries. Their results confirm once again: Overall, on average, about twice as many women as men suffer from depression. “Even so, we shouldn't consider the disorder a woman's disease. A third of those affected are men, ”says study author Janet Hyde of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
This article is contained in Spectrum Compact, Depression - Ways out of the Dark
This gender difference shows up earlier than many scientists previously assumed: significantly more girls than boys are affected even among the twelve-year-olds. So far, experts have assumed that the differences in the incidence of the disease only become apparent between the ages of 13 and 15, according to the researchers.
They suspect that the equilibrium shifts towards female patients, especially with the onset of puberty. Both hormonal and social factors could be responsible for this. However, since the researchers did not examine any participants who were younger than twelve years of age, it would even be possible that the gender gap could begin to make its way even earlier. Overall, the data show that girls and boys, especially between 13 and 16 years of age, differ most clearly in terms of their incidence of the disease. With the entry into adulthood, the difference becomes a little smaller again.
Surprisingly, these gender differences appear to be particularly pronounced in countries in which men and women live particularly equally and earn similarly high incomes. Here women are once again more likely to develop severe depression than men. In contrast, there were no additional differences in other forms of depressive moods.
- How does daemonization affect the sector?
- Can AIs be good doctors at some point?
- Where is the best view in France
- Will democracy survive the popular Trump revolution?
- Dyes her hair white
- Tell parents stories to toddlers
- What's the best song from Bieber
- What about the Apple MacBook Air
- What goes well with pea soup
- What is more important ACT or SAT
- What is the H2 B Visa
- What are learning skills or learning strategies
- Serbs live in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- What is a detergent surfactant chemical AES
- What is affective science
- What is the russian word for episode
- Why is it not used 8 8 times
- How much does Deezer cost
- How many Aladdin films do you know
- How can I learn professional hacking
- The metronome is really important when practicing bass
- How does primary school differ from secondary school?
- What's your favorite attraction in Chicago
- How much do monocrystalline solar modules cost
- How do medical translation services work
- How big is the real Hagrid
- What is the main pranayama
- What are anaerobic exercises
- What actually is AAKASH ITUTOR
- Who invented vitamins
- Discharging batteries other batteries
- Why don't people wear helmets for surfing
- How is an Egate LED projector
- How can I make software like Jarvis