How many modern Greeks worship Zeus
When did the worship of the ancient Greek gods end?
That's a tricky question. For many religions, remnants will remain centuries after the original was long abandoned. A well-cited example is St. Bridget's relationship with Brigid. Does modern worship of the Celtic saint mean that the original religion is still alive? To what extent does identifying a religion with Greece / Rome mean that a religion should be considered Greco-Roman? The Romans had a reputation for including other deities in their pantheon. Does their incorporation of Isis make Isis a Greek?
There is no doubt that paganism in the cities had lost majority status before Augustine. The city of God (AD 426) Was written, at least in part, as a refutation of those who would have pagan beliefs. There have been a number of battles over the political influence of religion after Constantine, but from an official standpoint, 491 was as good as dead.
The word "pagan", however, has its etymology in the word "rustic". While cities certainly did not have non-Christian sects after the fifth century, the traditions and beliefs of those who lived in isolation continued much later. Depending on your interpretation of what "the old religion" is / was, you could effectively argue that it never died out, but lives on as "witchcraft". If you look at the witches of the Latin and Balkan Peninsulas as a variant of the Etruscan religion and consider the same religion as partially on the uni (which is a parallel to Juno) then the ancient Hellenistic gods were never extinct.
- Women should I wax my upper lip
- What is the weekly bank NIFTY options
- What's the bonus in the NBA
- What is a habit best avoided
- Who offers the best PHP development services
- What are Christopher Nolan's trademarks
- How do you punish your child
- How can I approach the Pareto principle
- Why do laptops have USB ports
- What Shopify theme does a website use
- Was Einstein for a two-state solution
- How can I speed up the start time
- Why is Carey Foster so sensitive
- Is dry macular degeneration hereditary
- How can intrapreneurship support a company
- What is the rarest bottle of wine
- Christians believe in prophets before Jesus
- Test Android devices before buying
- What is the Dell EMC Labeling Hierarchy
- How to calculate the long multiplication
- Is an 8K TV worth the money
- What is the Gorillaz's most underrated song
- How do I install Apache Hive
- Why does the skin have pores