What does the Latin word parabellum mean
Part of speech: noun, (neuter)Minor forms:
- archaic: duelum
- bel | lum, genitive: bel | lī
- 1) military war
- attested since Naevius; the etymology is unknown; Folk etymology was related to the numeralsduo accepted; Georges-Jean Pinault uses the diminutive* duenelo- (please refer bellus) to the adjectivebonus at, its euphemistic use in expressions like bella acta or bella gesta 'Pretty good / brave deeds' on a basic meaning 'heroic deed, war' for War could interpret
- 1) "is nunc Amphitruo prefectust legionibus, / nam cum Telobois War est Thebano poplo. "(Plaut. Amph. 100-101)
- 1) "victores victis hostibus legiones reveniunt domum, / duello exstincto maxumo atque internecatis hostibus. "(Plaut. Amph. 188-189)
- 1) Germani War run down.
- The Teutons lead War.
- 1) domi bellique - in war and peace
- 1) Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you want peace, prepare for war.
- 1) War gerere - wage war
- 1) bellum civile - civil war
- bellare, bellicus (bellicosus), bellosus, Bellona
- bellicrepus, bellifer, belliger, belligerare, bellipotens, bellisonus
- German: 1) War (male)
Part of speech: declined formHyphenation:
- bel | lum
- Accusative singular masculine of the adjective bellus
- Nominative singular neuter of the adjective bellus
- Accusative singular neuter of the adjective bellus
- Vocative singular neuter of the adjective bellus
- bellus, bellis, bello
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in Latin:
„Si vis pacem, para War.“
Tatoeba.org set example 432491
„Qui desiderat pacem præparet War.“
Tatoeba.org set example 624938
„Cum orator gravia dixisset, omnes War pavebant.“
Tatoeba.org set example 861879
„Ecce War omnium versus omnes.“
Tatoeba.org set example 867433
„Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate provinciae longissime absunt, minimeque ad eos mercatores saepe commeant atque ea quae ad effeminandos animos pertinent important, proximique sunt Germanis, qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibuscum continenter War run down.“
Tatoeba.org set example 903892
„Qua de causa Helvetii quoque reliquos Gallos virtute praecedunt, quod fere cotidianis proeliis cum Germanis contendunt, cum aut suis finibus eos prohibent aut ipsi in eorum finibus War run down.“
Tatoeba.org set example 903893
„Sum contra War.“
Tatoeba.org set example 1086200
„Irania Americae Foederatae War indixit.“
Tatoeba.org set example 1219483
„Mense Decembri anni millesimi nongentesimi quadragesimi primi Iaponia Americae Foederatae War indixit.“
Tatoeba.org set example 1249425
„Anno millesimo nongentesimo quadragesimo quinto War desinit.“
Tatoeba.org set example 1270466
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Entries from our dictionary containing "bellum":
war:… Cenk Croatian: 1) rat (male) Kurdish: 1) şer Latin: 1) bellum (neuter), arma (neuter) (plural) Latgalian: 1) kars Latvian: ...
Civil war:… Korean: 1) 내전 (naejeon) Croatian: 1) građanski rat Latin: 1) bellum civile (neuter) Luxembourgish: 1) Biergerkrich (male)…
acer:… Testantur […] hunc praesentem Cn. Pompeium, quem procul [a)] b illorum moenibus acre et magnum bellum gerentem commeatu pecuniaque iuverunt, translations See translations at ...
Bellicism: basic political stance that regards military means of achieving goals as legitimate means of politics and also tends to prefer them to peaceful means. Origin of the term: Latin bellum = war (see a
ius ad bellum: ius ad bellum (Latin) Part of Speech: Combination of Words Meaning / Definition: 1) Right to war, the right to wage war German translations: 1)
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Bellum" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (23.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/bellum/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. You can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term "bellum" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
bellus (Latin) Part of speech: adjective Hyphenation: bel | lus Word meaning / Definition: 1) of external beauty; pretty,…
belly (English) Part of speech: noun Hyphenation: bel | ly, plural: bel | lies Word meaning / definition: 1) Anatomy: ...
bellyached (English) Part of speech: conjugated form Grammatical characteristics: simple past of verb bellyache Part of speech:…
bellyaches (English) Part of speech: Declined form Grammatical characteristics: Plural of the noun bellyache Part of speech: Conjugated…
bellyaching Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb bellyache
bellycrawled (English) Part of speech: Conjugated form Grammatical features: Simple past of the verb bellycrawl Part of speech:…
bellycrawling Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb bellycrawl
bellyflopped (English) Part of speech: Conjugated form Grammatical characteristics: Simple past of the verb bellyflop Part of speech:…
bellyflopping Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb bellyflop
bellyflops (English) Part of speech: Conjugated form Grammatical characteristics: 3rd person singular indicative present active of the verb
bellying Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb belly
- How to properly freeze zucchini bread
- How do publishers use AR
- What is the best slogan for the HR department
- Style is hereditary in laughter
- Do smartphone screens have different screen planes
- The speed of the internet depends on the modem
- What are some mistakes in caring for beginners
- Why is gas more popular than diesel
- What is an economic unit
- What sound is a bass
- The medics of World War II treated morphine themselves
- Why are there no natural oligosynthetic languages
- Are there blockchain simulators
- Why is Arduino used in a circuit
- Is there a panacea
- What are the examples of industrial chemistry
- Can Greece invade Turkey?
- What if vengeance is morally correct
- Powerpoint Prezi or Google Slides
- Can a gorilla kill me?
- What does my ex really want
- Is the American Constitution flexible enough
- How can I simply crack NEET 2018
- How SquareTrade detects and prevents fraud