Who discovered the Laniakea Supercluster?
astronomyNew homeland For the Milky Way
Imagine that you notice that your village is actually the district of a mega-metropolis. This is exactly what happened to researchers, but transferred to the cosmos. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is part of a galaxy supercluster. And Hawaiian researchers have completely measured and mapped this for the first time.
To stay with the comparison: Our village, the Milky Way, is more than 100,000 light years in diameter. The mega-metropolis, the galaxy supercluster, has a diameter of more than 500 million light years. It includes many galaxies - so quasi districts. The discovery of this supercluster, called Laniakea, was published by researchers from the University of Hawaii in the journal "Nature".
A light year is the distance that light travels in one year, with the speed of light being almost 300,000 kilometers per second. That makes nearly ten trillion kilometers a year. That is, the galaxy supercluster has a diameter of five trillion kilometers - or 500,000,000,000,000,000,000.0 kilometers. The name Laniakea - in Hawaiian "immeasurable sky" fits in with it.
Exploration of the immeasurable sky
Astronomers knew there was a galaxy supercluster, but not that it was that big. It is difficult for researchers to measure distances in the cosmos. The researchers have now succeeded in completely measuring and mapping the previously unknown megastructure of the supercluster.
- Why is my neighbor dog aggressive
- What are some great opportunities for teenagers
- Does Trump have serious psychopathic properties
- Call a blogger a writer
- Is 75 participation in MSRIT compulsory
- How will 2 methylpentanal enter into an aldol condensation
- How does competitive programming affect you
- Can Muslims say the word Lord?
- Can Bran Stark regain his humanity
- How do you defy society's expectations
- How does mobile differ from desktop content marketing
- Is ketamine an opioid
- Are you still listening to Limp Bizkit
- When are the admissions in BIT Mesra open?
- How many calories does an egg contain?
- How many IDEs are there for Java
- Why are quantiles important in statistics
- What is MVC architecture in Laravel
- How do landlords become landlords
- Why does dry ice smoke
- When will the voting start in India?
- Is angel investing profitable
- What is your favorite Shakespeare work
- Is JioFi better than BSNL broadband