Brazil has a desert
Lençóis Maranhenses - Brazil's unique desert landscape
The dunes of Maranhão
The national park in north-eastern Brazil in the Maranhão region is a desert with extremely high levels of rainfall. This means that lakes and lagoons are formed everywhere, especially in the rainy season. No lagoon is like the other and the landscape with the shifting dunes changes every time. Lençóis means bed sheet in German.
A landscape in motion
But it is not only the crystal blue lakes that distinguish the Lençóis Maranhenses National Park from other deserts. Temperatures that rarely exceed 35 degrees and a light breeze make it possible to explore the park on foot. The best places to start are Caburé and Atins. They are located on the coast, can be reached by boat and offer numerous small hostels. Some tour operators also make it possible to spend the night in the park - in the style of Indian Jones in a hammock. If you don't want to take it that daring, you can alternatively be chauffeured from one lagoon to the next.
This is how you get to the park
The 40 km2 national park can be reached from all major cities in the vicinity. The most popular starting point is the small fishing village of Barreirinhas, which is approx. 11 kilometers away. In the park itself, you can only get around with jeeps. The unique dune and lagoon landscape can be explored all year round, but the time between June and September is best. After the rainy season, which lasts from January to May, the lakes have sufficient water and the flora and fauna are at their most abundant.
The only desert in Brazil
The relatively young national park - it was only officially named in 1981 - is home to a unique flora and fauna. Cacti, mangroves, sand grasses and bushes line the landscape. The cycle of numerous fish and marine animals that settle in the lagoon during the rainy season is particularly curious. In the dry season, some stay in the only permanent lagoons (Lagoa da Esperança, Lagoa da Bonita and Lagoa de Azul), while others dry up with the water. Only the spawn survives in a moist layer in the sand and only hatches in the next rainy season.
Lençóis Maranhenses Park is also home to some species of turtles that are critically endangered. However, the water must not only be used for cooling by the many resident animals. In the lagoons, with their unique play of colors, you can also swim wonderfully. Bikini or swimming trunks should therefore definitely be carried with you.
- Who loves you the most
- Are the SAT practice tests correct?
- Is Converse better than Nike
- Libertarians want government less than Republicans
- Web entrepreneurs are usually some kind of bastard
- What is a boot camp for children
- Why are quantiles important in statistics
- What are reasonable reasons for an arrest
- There are free Google AdWords campaigns
- What are secondary funds
- What are the possible problems with video CAPTCHAs
- How do I get a nice friend
- What is a method class in Java
- What is a good wireless router under 6k
- What are good guitar finger picks
- Did Epstein run a Ponzi program
- Custom car carpet floor mats
- What is the keel of a ship
- Is love an art
- What are learning skills or learning strategies
- What is a Secret of Fat Loss Factor
- What will Evernote's next product be
- What is a bezoar
- Metal brackets work faster than Invisalign
- Why is a carbocation SP 2 hybridized
- How is lying seen in your culture
- Thailand becomes a police state
- Why do people like California
- Sweating slim pants really burn fat
- Is the Roy movie really that bad
- Politicians place newspaper ads
- When will satellite internet have better speeds
- What's your opinion on Kid Buu
- Why is alcohol not heated directly