What is the principle of operation of converters
What is an automatic converter and how does it work?
The so-called converter automatic istheclassic automatic. Here a fluid coupling - the torque converter - connects the engine with the gearbox consisting of planetary gear sets.
How the automatic converter works
When the accelerator pedal is not depressed (idling speed)
At idle speed, the converter acts like a separate clutch and transfers almost no torque (a bit, though, it is noticeable as the typical automatic creep).
When the accelerator pedal is depressed
However, if the driver steps on the accelerator, the engine initially rotates faster than the transmission and the converter works in this operating range as a type of continuously variable transmission.
Speed difference between engine and gearbox
The greater the speed difference between engine and gearbox, the greater the associated and very welcome torque increase. At the end of the acceleration phase, the gearbox catches up with the engine, which also eliminates the differential speed and excessive torque. The converter now works like a normal, closed clutch. So a fine thing.
Car dictionary: The 4 types of automatic transmissions
Converter automatic, then and now
How the automatic converter works in older models
Planetary gear sets coupled to one another are located in the transmission itself. By cleverly connecting, separating or braking the rotating components, different gear ratios can be elicited from such a transmission. These clutches and brakes work hydraulically, the punctual activation used to be a complex, hydraulic control consisting of valves, ducts and centrifugal governors.
New (re) vehicles and hiking slip
Today electronic control units are entrusted with this. The generation of the oil pressure required for the control as well as the converter slip, which occurs predominantly in older devices, ensure a certain loss of efficiency relative to normal gearboxes.
Technical literature on the subject of vehicle transmissions
Some of the links listed here are so-called affiliate links. If you click on such an affiliate link and shop via this link, autorevue.at receives a commission from the online shop or provider concerned. For the user or. Buyer does not change the price!
- Are personal tracking startups feasible?
- Geeta is copied from Buddhism
- Uses AlphaGo Deep Q Learning
- What is the chemical effect of electricity
- What acid does acid rain contain?
- What is reproduction? Why do animals reproduce
- What is a silo effect
- Why do bars have parking spaces
- Why has LocalBonus com been discontinued
- ADD is often associated with late blooming
- Where can I see Betty Blue 1986
- What does 5
- What is it like to go to Baylor University
- How do orbitals work
- What is the Railroad Token System
- Are final grades important in UPSC IES
- What sounds illogical is actually logical
- What podcasts talk about marketing and advertising
- Can an astrological prediction be scientifically verified?
- Should Pakistan acquire the Wakhan Corridor from Afghanistan
- What are good middle names for Ella
- Is astrology popular in Europe
- What did Wells Fargo do
- Is castor oil an edible oil