What chemicals are in limescale remover

Substance irritant (or corrosive)
Contact with skin and eyes may cause irritation or severe damage
If inhaled irritates the respiratory tract
Closure with child safety
Locked cupboard inaccessible to children
Do not store with food
Safety glasses, protective gloves, good ventilation

The ingredients of the descaler differ in the products. Dilute acetic acid, citric acid or sulfamic acid are suitable for dissolving lime. Some descaler also contain fragrances. Limescale deposits consist of insoluble calcium carbonate; they are called "scale". They are caused by dissolved calcium hydrogen carbonate in the water when it evaporates or is heated in kettles. When heated, dissolved carbon dioxide is expelled, which considerably accelerates the formation of scale. In areas rich in limestone, such as the Swabian Alb or the Jura, there is more calcium hydrogen carbonate in the water.

Scale formation in the water pipe

Skin or eye contact can cause irritation or serious damage, depending on the ingredient. If the devices are not thoroughly rinsed after descaling, there is a risk that acid residues will get into the drinks or food. Fragrance allergy sufferers can react to the fragrance components with breathlessness.

The bottles are kept separate from the food in a locked cabinet. They may only be kept in the original bottle in the household.

Safe handling
It is essential to read the instructions for use. Before use, it must be checked whether the ventilation is sufficient. Safety glasses and protective gloves are necessary. Environmentally friendly products are preferred. No other people, especially children, may be in the room during the cleaning process. The bottles must be closed again immediately after each removal. After the specified exposure time, it must be rinsed thoroughly with water. The protective gloves should also be washed well.


Excerpt from the film: Working safely with corrosive substances> Movie

To remove the limescale deposits, the objects or devices are treated with an aqueous solution of the descaler according to the instructions for use. Depending on the product and the degree of calcification, the duration can be a few minutes to about half an hour. You can also put smaller objects in a container filled with the decalcifying liquid. The container used must then be rinsed well with water.

First aid
  • In case of skin contact right away Rinse thoroughly with plenty of water and soap.
  • In the event of eye contact with irritating or corrosive substances, the affected eye must right away be rinsed under running water with the eyelid wide open. Hold your head so that the substance does not get into the other eye. Rinsing takes place for at least 15 minutes, if possible until the Ambulance service.
  • When children drink descaler, right away Spit out leftovers in your mouth and give water in small portions. Do not induce vomiting under any circumstances. Ambulance service alert.