Was Alexander successful in conquering India
Alexander the Great in India
On his great campaign, Alexander the Great also reached India. From Macedonia he extended his sphere of influence further and further east. He was certainly also curious about this distant land, around which many stories and secrets entwined.
In February 326 BC Alexander crossed the Indus and reached the northwest of India. On his march he subdued several Indian princes. Omphis, the ruler of Gandhara, recognized Alexander as the overlord without any problems and supplied his army with provisions and another 5,000 soldiers for his fight against King Porus.
Victory over Poros
Because Porous, another prince in northern India, refused to submit to Alexander. Poros' army included 2000 giant war elephants, on whose backs the archers and spear throwers sat.
However, Alexander managed to defeat his opponent in the Battle of the Hydaspes to defeat. He divided his troops and in particular let the spearmen attack the elephant. The elephants panicked and ran back to Poros' troops. So Alexander was able to defeat Porus. Porus recognized Alexander's rule and became its governor.
Reversal of Alexander's army
Alexander now wanted the kingdom Magadha conquer in the northeast. Still far from there, however, his soldiers refused to move on, because the heavy rains and the climate made them very difficult. So there was nothing left for Alexander to do but give in and turn back.
The army began its retreat through the mountains, over the Indus and through the desert of Gedrosia. Three quarters of the army was killed.
- What kind of program is Microsoft Word
- Polyethylene foam has antibacterial properties
- Is Iran semi-periphery why
- Replaces the Real ID passports
- Do you have some drunk experience
- What are your favorite moments at Degrassi
- Is BinBot trustworthy in binary options trading
- Exercise makes you smarter
- Is it allowed to take photos in the Dubai Museum?
- Why is the neem tree considered medicinal
- What is pickling in python
- How can long-term benefits become tangible
- How do Chinese police officers do their jobs?
- What invasive species have been successfully removed
- Who is Sriram Venkataraman 1
- Will coffee be extinct by 2070
- Will mobile really destroy Facebook
- How high are the closing costs
- How do New Zealanders use transportation
- Why use mobile apps
- How exactly is Food Inc.
- What is the jelly in jelly donuts
- What are the parts of the Vedas
- What are the benefits of Airbnb Plus
- Have a sketchy Craigslist purchase
- Has a Boeing 737 800 ever crashed?
- What are your favorite books in the top 10
- Is my blog ready for AdSense
- Work is done in a cyclical process
- What do you know about Odisha
- Will the earth ever explode?
- Does the encryption work on a SIM card
- Which person started the vaccination?