Who designed the dome of St. Peters

arthistoricum.net

The plan for the enlargement and standardization of the Vatican is closely related to the new building of St. Peter, the cornerstone of which was laid on April 18, 1506. On this occasion, a medal was struck by Cristoforo Foppa, called Il Caradosso, which does not show the entrance side, but a view of the new choir section with which the new building was started. Flanked by two choir towers is a structure whose dominant feature is a huge semicircular dome, the high drum of which is surrounded by columns. It is flanked on the side by two secondary domes, which cover the rooms in the secondary axes, while the choir closure is formed by a semi-dome, which is attached to the square body of the dome square with a temple gable. In front of it is a narrow colonnade, in the middle of which there is a gabled portal. The structure described corresponds to the famous parchment plan in Florence, which experts refer to as UA 1 (= Uffizi, Architettura, inv. No. 1). Both the plan, which is recognized as a handwritten drawing by Bramante, as well as the medal, convinced the first Bramante researchers that this project envisaged a central building. Since Geym├╝ller, the parchment plan has been complemented in a mirror-inverted manner to form a central building, although it shows less than half of it. The more recent research, based on the extensive plan material that came to the Uffizi with the bequests of Antonio da Sangallos and Giorgio Vasari, has enriched the detailed knowledge of the development of the projects, but remains controversial. Opinions differ on the question of whether Bramante's first draft provided for a central building (Frommel, Satzinger, Niebaum) or whether it should be a composite building from the start (Thoenes 1994).